“iMessage on Android” is a dream with Android users and almost of them never think about. However, in reality, it is not impossible. If you have much free time and enough patience, there is still a way to use iMessage on your Android phone. There is a third party app to help you do. While it’s not the easiest thing to set up, but once you get it done, the experience will be impressive.
Here is how to use iMessages on Android devices.
Requirements for this guide
To use iMessages on your iPhone, you need an app called AirMessage, which can be downloaded for free from Google Play.
- An Android phone
- AirMessage app from Play Store
- A MacBook
Download AirMessage for Your MacOS
Before you proceed with a step-by-step guide, you must do one thing first. To get iMessage work on your Android phone, you will need a computer running MacOS. You can use an iMac, Mac Mini, or MacBook and it needs to be active 24/7 to get a server so that your Android phone can send and receive iMessages.
When you meet all the requirements, here’s how to proceed it.
- First, visit www.airmessage.org with Safari browser on your Mac.
- Click on the Install button at the top of the screen.
- Select AirMessage server for macOS.
- Click on the zip file once it completes downloading.
- When you see Downloads folder, click on AirMessage.
- Open it and confirm whether you want to open the app.
- Select System Preferences.
- Select the lock icon at the bottom.
- Enter your password and click on Unlock.
- Click on the box next to AirMessage and choose Quit Now
Finally, simply click on the lock icon again to stop further changes.
Change your macOS settings
Once AirMessage software is downloaded, you need to adjust the sleeping time in settings on your Mac so that your computer will never go to sleep. Here is how to do so:
- Click on System Preferences > Energy Saver.
- Set “Turn display off” option to Never.
You can also have your Mac screen turn off without affecting AirMessage. Simply check on “Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off” box, AirMessage still works even when your computer screen is switched off.
Create a DHCP IP reservation
The next thing you need is to create a DHCP IP reservation. You feel complicated? In fact, it’s pretty simple.
- Install Google Wifi app on your Android phone and open it
- Tap on Network & General.
- Choose Advanced networking.
- Tap on DHCP IP reservations.
- Select the + button and add your Mac
- Enter your desirable IP address and tap on Done.
Steps to set up port forwarding
The next step you should do is to get port forwarding activated on your router. This will allow AirMessage software on your Mac to communicate with the app on your Android.
- Open Google Wifi app and tap on Network & General.
- Select Advanced Networking.
- Choose the port management
- Tap on the + icon and select your Mac
- Enter 1359 as the internal and external ports
- Tap on TCP and UDP.
- Tap Done at the bottom right corner.
Now, you can use iMessages on your Android phone.
Set up and use AirMessage on your phone
After all the connections are set up, the last step is to run AirMessage on your Android phone. Here is how to do it:
- Open Google Play Store on your device and search for AirMessage app
- Install the app and launch it when done
- Enter your server address as well as password.
- Tap on Next and choose Download Messages
- Tap on Allow so that the app can grant access to your contacts.
That’s it! Try to send an iMessage from an iPhone to your Android phone and surprise! You can now receive and send iMessages on your phone. While the process is little complicated, it’s quite interesting when your Android phone can send and receive iMessages. Do you have any question? Let’s know in the comment below.