While @Pwn20wnd team has not updated Unc0ver jailbreak tool with support for Apple A12 Bionic devices, including XS, XS Max, and iPhone XR, they have been quickly released an update for their jailbreaking tool that can be used on a new Sock Puppet exploit. Thus, all iOS devices running on iOS 12.2 can now be jailbroken.
Users can now jailbreak their devices running on iOS 12.1.2 – iOS 12.2, but the Sock Puppet exploit is still unstable in nature. The Unc0ver team will fix these issues in continuous future updates. Since Apple stopped signing iOS 12.2 version, you are unable to downgrade back to this version of your iOS device is running a later build of iOS. In such a scenario, the best idea is to wait and hope that an iOS 12.3.x jailbreak will be released soon.
Currently, you can jailbreak the following iOS devices with Unc0ver jailbreak
- iPhone 5s (iOS 12 – iOS 12.2)
- iPhone 6/6 Plus (iOS 12 – iOS 12.2)
- iPhone 6s/ 6s Plus
- iPhone 7/7 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 8/8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPad Air
- 6th gen iPad
- On your iPhone/iPad, remove any iOS 12 OTA update file that was previously downloaded on your phone. To do so, head to Settings -> Storage and then proceed to reboot your iOS device before jailbreaking it.
- To prevent future iOS 12 updates from automatically being downloaded on your device, you should install the tvOS 12 profile on your device
- Remember to create a backup of all your data in case something goes wrong.
- Although you can jailbreak your device running iOS 12.1.2 – iOS 12.2 with Uncover, the Sock Puppet exploit is a little unreliable. There are still some problems with older devices like iPhone 5S, iPhone 6, 6 Plus.
Steps to Jailbreak iOS 12 – iOS 12.2 with Unc0ver
Step 1: Download Latest Unc0ver beta version
On your iOS device running iOS 12 – iOS 12.2, open Safari browser and visit ignition.fun. You can still keep staying on the website instead of using the Ignition app.
Tap on the search button at the bottom, and search for unc0ver. Remember to download the Unc0ver beta version since it’s the only one that supports iOS 12 – iOS 12.2 right now. Tap on Get button to download the app along with the Install button if you get prompt. Depending on the speed of the internet connection, the installation can take 2-3 minutes.
Step 2: Trust Certificate on Your Device
Simply go to Settings-> General -> Device Management. From there, tap on the developer name and then trust the certificate. Without this, you will not be able to open the unc0ver jailbreak app on your iPhone/iPad.
Step 3: Jailbreak iOS 12 – iOS 12.2 with unc0ver
On the Home screen, simply open Unc0ver, tap on the Jailbreak button and wait for the process to complete. Your iPhone/ iPad might respring during the process. When done, you will see the Cydia icon on the home screen.
If the app is stuck at the “Extracting Cydia…”step, just reboot your iPhone/iPad and then try to jailbreak it again.
Once you have successfully jailbroken your iPhone or iPad running on iOS 12 – iOS 12.2 with unc0ver jailbreak, you can launch Cydia and check to find out the compatible jailbreak tweaks for iOS 12 to customize your iPhone.
Remember that you might face some stability issues if you have jailbroken your iPhone/iPad running iOS 12.1.3 – iOS 12.2. The Unc0ver team will hopefully fix them with future updates.
You should not that there might be some stability issues if your jailbroken iPhone/iPad is running iOS 12.1.3 – iOS 12.2 version. The Unc0ver team will fix them in future updates.