Sometimes, your iPhone touch screen can respond slowly, or become unresponsive without any reason. If you are encountering the same trouble and are finding solutions to fix “iPhone touch screen not working” problems, keep reading on this post to get some simple and effective ways to do so.
What Causes “iPhone Touch Screen” Issues
The most annoying problem might be when your iPhone touchscreen is not responding.
In most cases, touchscreen issues are usually related to software. But, there is also a chance with display hardware. If the problem is caused by software, you can fix it on your end just with the methods listed below. If it comes to hardware, you should contact Apple Custom service or visit the nearest store.
How To Troubleshoot iPhone With Touch Screen Issues
Before you get started:
- Remember to back up your data if possible
- After trying software-related solutions, but the issue is still there, you should check your iPhone warranty card. If your iPhone is still under the warranty, you can visit Genius Barto claim the warranty.
Note: Make sure your fingers are dry when using your iPhone since the screen may not respond due to moisture.
Clean up your iPhone screen
Cleaning up your phone screen is a simple trick, but effective to fix touchscreen issues. Here are some tips you can do to clean your iPhone screen properly:
- Unplug your phone from the adapter and power it off while you are cleaning the screen to avoid unexpected damage.
- Use a microfiber cloth, or a lint-free cloth to clean your phone. Remember not to use a towel or other things, which can scratch the screen.
- Don’t spray the cleaners directly to the screen. Instead, spray it on the cloth wipe gently.
- Don’t press the screen hard without breaking the screen.
Remove screen protector or case
If you are using a screen protector, try removing it. If the quality of these accessories is not good enough, your iPhone could not detect the touch of your fingers. After removing them, touch your iPhone screen and check if the issue has been fixed.
Restarting your phone is also a good solution to fix software glitches on your phone. You should perform a forced restart in case the screen is completely unresponsive. Here is how you can do that.
On iPhone 8, or later and 2018 iPad Pro, you need to press and release the Volume Up button. After that, press and release Volume Down button. Finally, press and hold the Power button until you see the Apple logo.
On iPhone 7/7 Plus models: simply press and hold the Power + Volume Down buttons at once.
On older models: just press and hold the Power + Home buttons simultaneously for about 10 seconds.
After your iPhone reboots, check if the touchscreen already works fine.
Charge iPhone / iPad with the original charger
You are recommended to use the original charger and cable to charge your iPhone. Any unoriginal accessories that don’t have an MFI certificate are potentially destructive. MFI is abbreviation of Made For iPhone/iPad/iPod. After you charge your iPhone with the original cable, check the touchscreen to know whether it already responds.
Update, delete or reinstall the app
This simple solution might work for touch screen issues on your iPhone that occur when you are opening a specific app. To fix it, you should first try to update the app:
- Open App Store on your phone
- Tap on the update tab and find the app you want to update
- Tap on Update button next to it
If the problem still persists, you can try to delete and then reinstall the app. However, make sure you know about the risk of deleting that app. To reinstall the app, all you need is to remove it and re-download from the App Store.
- From your home screen, tap and hold the app icon until it starts jiggling.
- Tap on the “x” icon on the top right app corner.
- You will then see a popup message will appear, tap on “Delete”
- Reopen the App Store, search for the app and re-download it.
If updating and reinstalling could not help you fix the issue, you should remove the app and find the alternative as the other option.
Reset all settings or factory reset your iPhone
If your iPhone screen can respond slowly, you can try this method. In this case, the touchscreen can still work, but its response is slower than normal.
To reset all settings on your iPhone, simply follow these steps below
- Head to Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings section
- From there, you will be asked to enter your device passcode
- Tap on Reset All Settings line
- Tap on the popup again to confirm and your iPhone will reset all customized settings to the default options.
To factory reset your iPhone, simply perform these steps below. Once again, make sure to backup your data beforehand.
- On your iPhone, navigate to Settings > General > Reset and select Erase All Contents and Settings
- Enter your passcode when you are prompted
- Tap on Erase iPhone or Erase iPhone popup to confirm it
- Your iPhone will automatically boot up after the reset. When you are done, set up your iPhone as new or restore it from a backup.
Restore iPhone via iTunes
This method is applicable if your iPhone can still respond slowly. If the touchscreen is not responding completely, you can try to restore the iPhone in recovery mode. Otherwise, make sure your iPhone has been synced to the computer that you use for the restoration. Here are the steps to restore your iPhone.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer with the iTunes version installed using a lighting cable
- Open the iTunes software
- From Summary tab, click on Restore
- Wait for the process to be done. After that, set up your iPhone as new
To restore your iPhone in the recovery mode, you can read on this post to do so.
After trying all the methods above but you are still facing iPhone touch screen issues, you should contact Genius Bar or visit the nearest Apple Authorized Service, Provider center.