The key feature that must be enabled first on every iPhone is Find My iPhone. This feature allows you to trace your iPhone when you are not able to find it. You might not know what could happen to your iPhone later on, so better is than sorry. Here are some comprehensive methods to activate and use Find My iPhone online on iPhone/iPad. If your iPhone is running on the new iOS platform, you can take advantage of this post to secure your new Apple iPhone by enabling Find My iPhone. Follow it to get more comprehensive walkthroughs.
Setting up Find My iPhone will let you safeguard your important data when your iPhone is lost or stolen iPhone. With Find My iPhone app, you can remotely erase your personal information from your missing phone, barring possible unauthorized access. All these are possible as long as your missing iPhone is online or connected to the Internet.
Steps to activate Find My iPhone on an early iPhone
Here’s how you can enable Find My iPhone on your iPhone:
- Open Settings from your Home screen.
- Choose yourApple ID (your name) header at the top of the screen.
- Tap on iCloud.
- Scroll down and then select Find My iPhone.
- Toggle the switch on to enable the feature.
If you are using earlier iPhones, you can find the Find My iPhone app. Otherwise, it will be labeled Find iPhone.
Find My iPhone is now enabled and then set for use when you want to track your iPhone.
How to set up Find My iPhone on later iOS device
Here are applicable steps for iPhone running on the latest iOS version.
- Launch Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap on Privacy > Location Services.
- Return to Settings > choose your Apple ID [your name].
- Tap on iCloud > Find My iPhone.
- Toggle the switch to enable Find My iPhone.
- Enable Send Last Location option and your iPhone will send to you its last location before running out of battery or going offline.
How to track your missing iPhone using Find My iPhone online
To check if Find My iPhone is working as expected, you can prepare a computer and visit iCloud.com to track your iPhone. Simply follow these steps below to get it done:
- Launch any browser on your computer.
- Visit com website.
- Enter your Apple password to sign into your iCloud account.
- Click on Find iPhone from the main menu.
- Enter Apple ID and password when prompted to sign in.
- Click on All Devices at the top of the screen.
- Choose the name of the device connected to your iPhone that you want to track.
If it shows a green dot, it means that your phone is online and can be traceable. The time that is shown was the last track.
If a gray dot appears, it means that your phone is offline and the timestamp when it’s online will show up. It will show Offline if your phone has been offline for over 1 day.
But, you can still use helpful modes to help your search become easier. From there, you can find available options, including Play Sound, Lost Mode and Erase.
- Play sound
This option still works even when your missing device is in vibrate or silent mode. When you click on Play Sound button, there will be an audible tone on your missing iPhone. It’s recommended if your iPhone is around the corners of your office/house.
- Lost mode
With this option, you can prompt a phone number on the screen of the lost iPhone and when anyone who finds your device can call the given number. This option also activates an audible tone to make attention to your missing iPhone. All you need is to click on the Lost mode button to turn it on.
This option is needed if your iPhone is marked as stolen and you feel that you are no longer be able to bring it back. To stop anyone from knowing your private information, you should delete everything from your lost iPhone remotely by selecting the Erase button. By this way, you can still protect your information.
How to use Find My iPhone on iPhone X and later models
If you are using My iPhone or Find iPhone app on newer iPhone models, here is how you can use it to find your missing iPhone online.
- From your Home screen, locateFind iPhone
- Tap onFind iPhone and enter your Apple ID and password to sign in
- From the Find My iPhone screen, choose the name of the iOS device you want to locate.
- If you find it online, its location will be displayed. While it’s offline, you should configureFind iPhone app to notify you when it’s online again.
- Scroll down and choose Actions at the bottom of the screen
- Tap on Play Sound to play a sound on your missing device. When tapping this option, it will help you trace your device if it’s misplaced in nearby corners.
You can also choose Lost Mode to set up your missing device to Lost Mode or Erase iPhone to remotely wiping out your missing device.
How to use Find My iPhone on other iOS devices
With other iOS devices, you can also locate your missing Apple devices via Find My iPhone app. To use Find My iPhone app on another device, simply read on these steps:
- First, launch Find My iPhone
- Tap on Help and then choose Locate your device.
If Find My iPhone app is not able to track your device, you will see the last known location for up to 1 day and you will be prompted with an option “Notify me” when found. Use this option to receive an email whenever your missing phone gets back online.
If any of your friend or family member could set up location sharing before losing your iPhone, you can then ask him/her to help you locate your missing iPhone through Family Sharing option
If you want more help for using Find My iPhone online we are willing to help you. Let’s know in the comment if you have any question.
Alternatively, you also report your problems directly to Apple Support so to get further assistance.