FaceBook is now the most popular social network platform with over 2 billion users. Some people use this platform for business purposes while others use it for personal purposes. However, what to do if the FaceBook app on your iPhone cannot open? If you are in the same trouble on your iPhone, here are a few things you can do. In most cases, it’s just a problem with the app itself or it could be due to a firmware issue. It’s not a serious problem and you can fix it on your own without any help from a tech.
Facebook is now made accessible to many devices like tablets, computers, and smartphones as long as they are connected to a stable Internet connection. Although Facebook developers are working hard to provide a reliable service to its users worldwide, there are still a few cases when the app encounters an error and fails to work properly.
Why Facebook won’t open on your iPhone?
Like other third-party apps, some factors can cause the Facebook app not to work on your phone. Basically, these problems are temporary, but there are some app problems cannot be resolved by the Facebook support team immediately and they need some tweaks to be performed on your end. Here are proven solutions to fix app problems on iPhone
Simple solutions to fix FaceBook app that won’t open on iPhone
FaceBook app can only be functional when your phone is connected to either Wi-Fi or cellular data. So if the internet connection is slow or your phone has no internet connection, you are not able to use or open the app. If your Internet connection is working fine and other online apps can load and work as intended, except for Facebook, the issues must be related to the app. Here are a few things you can try on.
Solution 1: Force close and reopen the Facebook app
If the FaceBook app gets unresponsive or is not working, this easiest way to fix the glitch is to close and restart the app. Apps running in the background too long will have a high chance of crashing. When it happens, there are various symptoms emerging and other apps might also be affected. So, if you have not closed Facebook app on your iPhone yet, simply follow these steps below:
- Swipe up from the bottom and pause in the middle of the screen.
- Now, scroll through left or right, find out Facebook app preview and close it by swiping it up.
Repeat the steps above to close other background apps on your iPhone.
This simple process will refresh your phone settings. After you quit the app, re-open the FaceBook app again and check if Facebook works properly after this.
Solution 2: Restart your iPhone
Corrupted cached files on your phone’s internal memory can also affect the app’s functionality. That said, such files can be fixed by powering your iPhone off and back on. To get it done:
- If you are using iPhone X or later model, press and hold the Power button along with either one of Volume buttons simultaneously for a few seconds. For older models, simply press the Side button firmly.
- When the Slide to Power off command shows up on the screen, release the buttons and drag the slider to the right.
- After your phone is completely off, wait for 1 minute and turn it back on by pressing the Power button
When you phone completely turns on, re-launch the Facebook app and check if it is already working file. If Facebook app does not still open on your iPhone, move on to the next procedure.
Solution 3: Refresh the internet connection
If there is a problem with the Internet connection, it can prevent online apps from loading properly. To ensure that this isn’t what’s preventing Facebook app from opening on your iPhone, you should give your Internet connection a quick restart in order to refresh online apps.
- If you are using Wi-Fi, head to Settings-> Wi-Fi and toggle the switch to turn Wi-Fi off and back on.
You can also toggle the Airplane mode switch on and then off again in Settings. This will abruptly disable wireless radios of your iPhone and re-enable them. This simple tweak has been proven to be effective in fixing minor problems related to internet services.
Solution 4: Update Facebook app on your iPhone
Apps running on an outdated version will be more interrupted. So it’s recommended to keep all apps on your phone updated. If you have not set to automatic updates or haven’t received update notifications, you can manually update your apps through the App Store. Simply open App Store and check for a pending update of Facebook app. To do so:
- From your phone Home screen, access App Store.
- Scroll down and tap on Updates icon at the bottom of the App Store screen. There will be a list of the available updates.
- Locate the Facebook app and tap on Update button next to it.
- You can also select Update All button to simultaneously install all pending apps update on your phone.
After you update all apps on your iPhone, restart your iPhone to apply the recent changes. After that, re-open Facebook and check if the problem has been fixed. If Facebook won’t open on your iPhone after trying the procedure, you need to delete it completely from your iPhone.
Solution 5: Delete and re-install Facebook app on your iPhone
Uninstalling and reinstalling rogue apps is an effective solution to get rid of app problems. This is usually necessary if the problem is caused by corrupt apps. The process will remove app’s cached data. Here is how to do so:
- Open Settings from the Home
- Scroll down and tap on General section
- Choose iPhone Storage
- Tap on Facebook app from the list.
- Tap on Delete App
- After you have read the caution prompts, tap on Delete App to confirm your choice.
When the Facebook app is completely uninstalled, restart your iPhone. After that, re-install the Facebook app from the App Store.
- From the Homescreen, open the App Store.
- Tap on Apps at the bottom of the
- Choose Search and then type in Facebook in the search field.
- From the search result, choose the latest version of the Facebook app.
- Tap on GETor cloud icon to INSTALL.
- Enter your Apple ID and password to complete the installation process.
Wait until the installation has been completed. When done, restart your iPhone and open the Facebook app after it’s back on.
Solution 6: Reset network settings on your iPhone
If you have modified the network settings on your iPhone, there is a high chance that invalid settings caused the Facebook app to stop working properly. So, resetting the network settings to the default can get rid of the problem. Here is how to do so:
- Launch Settings app from the Home screen.
- Tap on General > Reset.
- Choose Reset Network Settings.
- Enter your passcode when prompted to continue
- Tap on Reset Network Settings popup to complete the process.
Your iPhone will then reboot itself. After it is turned back on, the network settings on your iPhone will be reverted to the original configurations. Now, try to access the FaceBook app on your phone.
If the Facebook app runs smoothly again after you try the troubleshooting solutions above, the issue has been corrected. Otherwise, the problem might come from Facebook’s main server that Facebook engineers are trying to solve it. In this case, you can report the issue to Facebook Support team to get further assistance. Remember to let them know about your attempt to fix the problem. Unfortunately, you cannot do much on your end except for waiting for the app to run properly again.