If you are using a Windows computer, then you might be using Google Chrome as the default browser. That’s because Google Chrome is secure enough to use. But, in fact, Google Chrome is a memory hog. There will be a lot of funny jokes about how much Google Chrome eats up the memory of your computer. One of the main reasons behind high CPU and RAM usage is Chrome Software Reporter Tool.
If you are opening more than 10 Chrome tabs on your computer at the same time, your PC will get slow. Running Google Chrome on Windows laptop will affect the battery life, too.
No matter how these issues are, Google Chrome is still the most widely used at the moment. However, there is now an issue coming to the surface, even when Chrome Software Reporter tool is a .exe or executable file. You can find this tool in your task manager whenever you open Google Chrome browser.
What is Chrome Software Reporter tool?
This tool can be found inside the Google Chrome installation folder in the form of software_reporter_tool.exe. While the tool is safe, sometimes, it does cause a few issues to Chrome users.
Chrome Software Reporter tool is usually used for Chrome Cleanup that can clean up software on your computer which causes issues to Google Chrome. This tool usually runs in the background and automatically scan your computer as well. If Chrome browser encounter issues such as crashes, bugs or unexpected ads, the tool will automatically check for reasons.
If you are using Google Chrome as the primary browser, you are bound to get it on your computer. When this tool creates issues, you might feel that you have to disable Chrome Software Reporter tool.
Here are three methods to help you disable chrome software reporter tool from your PC. Remember that the process will not cause any problems to Google Chrome so you can try these methods without any problems.
Pros & Cons Of Chrome Software Reporter Tool
Advantage of blocking this tool
- Once you block this tool, you can increase the speed and fix lags or slowdowns on your Windows PC.
- If the CPU usage is high, it’s usually caused by this tool. So, disabling it will fix your high disk usage problem.
- Another reason you should concern about is privacy. This tool can collect all the information about the software installed on your computer and then send them to Google. If you are worried about your privacy, you should block Chrome Software Reporter tool immediately to avoid being leaked personal information.
Disadvantages of blocking this tool
As usual, this tool will run in the background to scan harmful files occurring on your PC, which affects the performance of the Google Chrome browser. So if this tool is blocked, you might be at risk of infectious files on your computer. So, you should use an antivirus software before blocking this tool.
Method 1: Use Windows Properties
With this method, you can block chrome software reporter tool through SWReporter folder inside Google Chrome installation folder. By following these steps, you can then change the properties of the tool and disable chrome software reporter tool on your machine.
- Navigate to SwReporter Directory
First, you need to go to C > Users > USERNAME > AppData > Local > Google >Chrome, choose User Data > SwReporter and then right click on SwReporter > Properties.
- Click on Advanced button
Navigate to “Security” tab and click on “Advanced” option.
- Disable Inheritance
When you are in ‘Advanced Security Settings for SwReporter’ window, click on Disable Inheritance > remove all inherited permissions from the object.
Next, click on “Apply” and choose Yes if you are prompted with “Advanced Security Settings for SwReporter” window.
That’s done. You have successfully disabled chrome software reporter tool from your Windows computer. It’s the quickest method to block this tool on your PC.
However, you can also try the mentioned alternative if this method does not help you.
Method 2: Use Registry Editor
If the above method could not disable chrome software reporter tool, you can try this alternate solution. You will use the default registry editor in the Windows operating system to block the tool.
- Open up Registry Editor by pressing Win +R keys on your keyboard, type in “regedit” in Run box and hit Enter.
- From registry editor section, head to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies key
- Select the Policies key and clock Edit Hover over New > Key and create a new Policies register.
- After the new key is created, set a “Google“ name for the new key.
- Once again, create a new key inside Google and set it as “Chrome”
- You will then see a patch: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Policies > Google > Chrome. The, you need to create two new DWORD values, which are continuously “ChromeCleanupEnabled” and “ChromeCleanupReportingEnabled” in Chrome directory.
When you are done, right-click on Chrome and click on New > DWORD (32-bit) Value option from the Edit menu.
First, you should create DWORD with “ChromeCleanupEnabled” name and the second one is “ChromeCleanupReportingEnabled.” Remember to set both the values to 0 (indicates FALSE)
After both 32-bit DWORD values are created, your Windows PC will automatically block chrome software reporter tool from running in the background.
By following these steps correctly, you can block this tool on your system.
Also see: How to Bypass Windows 10 Password Screen
Method 3: Use DisallowRun in Registry Editor
This one is similar to the second method mentioned above. With this method, you will also use the Registry Editor to disable chrome software reporter tool. However, the only difference here is that you need to edit a completely different registry key.
- On your PC, press Win + R keys at once and type in “regedit” to open up Registry Editor.
- Head to HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > Current > Version and select Policies.
- Inside this section, create a new Explorer
- Inside the newly created Explorer key, you need to create a new key with the name of You will then see the final path as HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Policies > Explorer > DisallowRun.
- Next, right click on DisallowRun and choose New > String Value Rename the Value to 1.
- Double click on the new String Value and then set its value to Software_Reporter_Tool.exe
Once done, restart your Windows PC to apply the change and come into action. After that, the newly created DisallowRun will then block chrome software reporter tool from running in the background.
As we said earlier, it’s an alternate method you can try after the above methods first. If none of the mentioned methods could help you, you can follow this method, which definitely works.