Losing the phone is now such a terrible thing since it also means you might encounter with losing important personal data. If you are using your iPhone as a personal assistant, I guess it holds essential information like your payment information. So, it’s imperative to find a way to recover a lost iPhone as soon as possible. If you lost your new iPhone like iPhone, XS, XS Max,XR, finding it is pretty easy as long as it’s still connected to the internet and the power has remained.
In this post, we will show you the ways to rescue your lost iPhone (even when it’s not connected to the Internet). We also list other alternatives you can try to remotely wipe your iPhone to prevent your important data from being stolen. Hopefully, you could find it easily by reading the steps below.
Steps to set Find My iPhone up in your iPhone first
To recover a lost iPhone, the first thing to do is enabling one important feature, which is called Find My iPhone. You can easily enable in Settings > iCloud. This feature will help you locate your iPhone in real time and it is even useful when your device’s battery has run out of. It’s made possible by another helpful feature that is Send Last Location. If Send Last Location is activated, Apple will know the last GPS coordinate of your iPhone.
In fact, Find My iPhone feature only works successfully in case your iPhone is connected to the Internet. If your phone is in a dead spot, or if the cellular data is disabled, you will only get the last location of the phone where it’s still connected to the Internet.
To enable Find My iPhone on your iPhone, simply follow these steps below:
- Open Settings app on your device
- Tap on your Apple ID info at the top.
- Tap on iCloud.
- Scroll down and select Find My iPhone section.
- Toggle the switch to turn it on.
- Also enable Send Last Location.
How to find your iPhone with a computer
If you don’t have access to another iPhone to use Find My iPhone app or you cannot borrow one from your friend, then you can use a computer and visit iCloud.com. To do so:
- Launch your preferred web browser.
- Head to iCloud.com and log into your Apple ID. Make sure that it’s the same iCloud account logged in your lost iPhone.
- From the main menu, simply click Find iPhone
- Enter your Apple ID password to sign back in when you are prompted
- Click on All Devices tab at the top of the screen.
- Choose the name of your iPhone you want to track.
You can also zoom in and out of the map on the screen if you like. From there, you will see three options, including Play sound, Lost mode, and Erase. Read on the explanations below to know each of them:
Play sound option lets you send a command to your iPhone and it will make a sound to make someone notice. Play sound will override whatever sound settings set o your iPhone even it’s on either vibrate or silent mode, your iPhone still makes a sound.
Lost mode option allows you to send a command to your device. It’s usually your phone number and a short text messaged, which will be displayed on the lock screen of your iPhone.
Your device will play a sound to get attention if you choose Lost Mode. That said, Lost mode only works in your lost iPhone if its power is still on. If not, you are still able to access Lost mode in another iPhone, but it’s not activated in your lost phone.
Erae option is the option that is very useful in case finding your lost iPhone is almost impossible and you don’t want someone to know your personal information. With the Erase option, your iPhone will be formatted and all your data that was not uploaded to iCloud or backed up through iCloud before it goes forever.
How to find your iPhone using another iOS device
If you use another iPhone or iPad to locate your lost iPhone, you need “Find My iPhone” app first. It’s a pre-installed app in all iPhones but if it’s not available on your iPhone/iPad, you can download it for free from the App Store. Once the app is installed, simply follow the steps below:
- Launch Find My iPhone app on your iPhone/iPad
- Sign in with your iCloud ID.
- Select your lost iPhone.
- Tap on Actions at the bottom to see other options. You still have the same three options like the web view of iCloud, including Play sound, Lost mode, and Erase.
What to do if Find My iPhone was not enabled on your lost iPhone?
If you forgot to enable Find My iPhone before losing your device, there is still another way to track it with the help of Google location history. But, it also needs to be already enabled in your iPhone first. If you have already enabled location history in your Google Maps app, you might get an idea to know the last known location of your phone. Follow these steps below to track your phone’s location history:
- Open a web browser on your computer or another phone and visit google.com/locationhistory
- Sign in your Google account. If you have multiple accounts, make sure to use the one that is logged in your lost iPhone.
- Choose the date when your phone went missing.
- Check out the last known address of your iPhone.
If you think your phone was stolen, you should report the incident to a law enforcement agency and wait for a law enforcer accompany to retrieve your phone for you.