If your iPhone has no sound, there is a high chance it denotes a hardware problem like a damaged speaker. However, there are some cases where software errors are the underlying causes. Thus, audio problems can happen with both old and new devices. Before taking your iPhone to an Apple service center, you should try some workarounds below to fix the problem on your end.
Tackled in this post are solutions that are used to resolve software-related sound problems on the new iPhone XR. Read on the post to find out methods to fix audio errors or no sound problem on this new iPhone.
Solution 1: Toggle the ringer switch and then restart iPhone.
Your iPhone needs to be in ring mode if you want to play ringtones and alert sounds through the iPhone speakers. So, when it is set to silent, ringtones or alerts cannot play through the built-in speakers. Your phone only vibrates. Again, there are many factors causing the audio system of your iPhone to fail, which results to random issues. The easiest solution to get rid of audio glitches is to toggle the physical audio switch on the side of your iPhone XR.
- To put your iPhone in ring mode, simply flip the switch upwards. This will hide the orange bar on the switch.
- If you want to put your iPhone in silent mode, you simply flip the switch downwards and you will see the orange bar.
Once you flip the ringer switch from silent to ring, you should then restart your iPhone XR to clear out corrupted temporary files that have caused the audio system. Here’s how to perform a simple restart on your iPhone XR:
- First, press and hold the Power button of your iPhone for a few seconds.
- Release the button when you see the Slide to Power Off command on the screen.
- Drag the slider to the right and this will trigger your phone to power off.
- After 1 minute, press and hold the Power button again until the Apple logo appears on the screen
Wait until your iPhone boots up and you can then open a sound-enabled app to test the sound function on your iPhone XR and check if it’s already working properly.
Solution 2: Disable Do Not Disturb feature.
Accidentally, you have already enabled Do Not Disturb mode on your iPhone since you didn’t want to be interrupted during your night sleep. In this case, your iPhone will be prevented from making sounds for notifications, texts alerts, and calls. All you need is to disable Do Not Disturb feature on your iPhone XR. Here’s how to do so:
- Open Settings app from the Home screen.
- ChooseDo Not Disturb from the menu options.
- Toggle the Do Not Disturb switch OFF
This will re-enable notification sound for calls, messages, and other alerts on your iPhone.
Solution 3: Disable Bluetooth on your iPhone XR
If your iPhone is currently connected to a Bluetooth accessory, then you cannot hear it sound since all sounds are transmitted to the paired Bluetooth device. To make sure this is not the underlying cause; you should disable Bluetooth or remove all Bluetooth connections on your iPhone. Here’s how to do it:
- Head over toSettings-> Bluetooth
- Toggle the Bluetooth switch ON or OFF. To get rid of corrupted Bluetooth connections from the causes, you should turn Bluetooth OFF.
- You can also forget all saved Bluetooth connections by tapping on “i” icon near the Bluetooth device(s) and then chooseForget this Device
Once you disable Bluetooth or remove all Bluetooth devices from your iPhone XR, then open sound-enabled apps and check if the sound on your iPhone XR is already working.
Solution 4: Check and manage notification settings, reset all settings on your iPhone
If the problem only happens with notification alerts on certain apps, you will need to reconfigure notification settings. iOS 12 has the ability to receive notifications quietly. You might accidentally have enabled this feature on your iPhone XR before and forgot to disable it. Notification alerts still display in the notification center but are only delivered quietly. To configure this feature, follow these steps below:
- Open Settings app on your iPhone XR
- Tap on Notifications and choose the app you don’t hear notifications from.
- Tap on Lock Screen Banners& Sounds to re-enable them.
This will deliver all notification alerts for the chosen app loudly.
Solution 5: Update your iPhone to the latest version.
The latest iOS update may include some fixes if the problem is related to system errors. The fix patches are typically programmed to clear out bug-inflicted errors as well as enhance the performance for your iPhone. So, keeping your iPhone up-to-date is highly recommended. You can check for and install the latest iOS update via over-the-air once your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Here’s how to do so:
- Launch Settings app from your Home screen.
- Tap on General > Software Update.
If there is an update available, you will see a notification with the system details.
Before implementing the new update, remember to back up all your important data for safekeeping first. After that, follow the onscreen instructions to download and install the latest iOS version on your iPhone.
After the process is completed, reboot your iPhone to apply the recent system changes and prevent apps from going rogue after the version transition.
If none of the prior solutions helped and there is still no sound on your iPhone XR, a factory reset can be considered among the last resort to clear out minor errors that are affecting the audio system. The process will wipe everything from your iPhone, so creating backups to iCloud or iTunes is necessary. You can then reset and restore your iPhone to the factory defaults through settings on your phone or use iTunes on your computer.