Creating backups is always a recommended method before you perform a factory reset, update your iPhone and restore it. For these purposes, you can then back up all your saved from your iPhone to iCloud or iTunes. In this post, we’ll share with you different ways of creating backups of your photos by transferring important images from your iPhone to your Windows or Mac computer. Read on this post to get more detail.
How to transfer photos from iPhone to a computer with iTunes
Manual file transfers in iPhones will be carried out through iTunes, if it’s not iCloud. You can then take advantage of the Photos app to import all your photos from your iPhone to your Mac or Windows computer without the help of iCloud Photos. Here’s how to do it:
- Plug your iPhone into the computer with the USB cable.
- Unlock your iPhone screen or tap on Trust This Computer option when asked. This popup usually appears if it’s the first time you connect your iPhone to the computer.
- Wait for the Photos app to automatically open on your computer. If not, you can also manually the Photos app on your computer.
- In the Photos app, you will see the Import screen with all the photos loaded on your connected device. If the Import screen is now available, click on the Import tab at the top of the Photos app or click on your phone’s name in the Photos
- Choose the photos you want to import and click on Import Selected when you are done.
- To import all your photos, simply click on Import All New Photos
After you complete importing all photos, you can disconnect your iPhone from your computer.
If you’re using a Mac computer with MacOS High Sierra or later installed, the imported photos can be found in the Import album, which is under Photos app. For earlier MacOS versions, you can see imported photos in the Last Import album.
How to transfer photos from iPhone to a Mac computer without using iTunes
You can directly transfer all photos from your iPhone to a computer without the need of iTunes. After you connect your iPhone to your computer, your device will automatically be read as a camera device through USB. Once it’s connected, you can start sharing photos. Here’s how to get it done:
- Plug your iPhone into the computer with the Lightning cable.
- When your iPhone is automatically read as a camera device, the Photos app on your computer will also open automatically. If not, then open your Applications and select the Photos app to proceed.
- Click on File from the top menu.
- Select Import option
- Choose the photos you want to transfer. You can select photos by holding down the command key while clicking on the photos you want to transfer. After that, click on Review for Import
- Your Mac will let you know if you have already imported all of your selected photos, and then prompts you to transfer the remaining photos with Import New Photo
- To import all photos on your iPhone that you have not backed up previously, click on Import All New Items option.
- To see recently imported photos, simply select the Last Import option from the sidebar.
Transfer photos from iPhone to a Windows PC without using iTunes
To transfer photo from your iPhone to the Windows computer, make sure your computer is running on an OS that works with your iPhone. The following steps will show steps to transfer photos from your iPhone to a Windows 10 computer. Here’s how to do so:
- Plug your iPhone into the computer using a Lightning cable.
- Wait for the Photos app to automatically open. If not, you can open the program from the Start menu or the search bar.
- In the Photos screen, click on Import icon in the upper-right corner. This will then prompt you with a box including new photos for transfer.
- Choose photos you want to import and click on Continue. You will view a pop-up message that contains the location of the imported photos. You can also change the location as your liking by clicking on the given option.
- Select Import to confirm your choice.
Wait until the process is done, you can then see the imported photos on your computer by navigating to Collections menu. Click on the Album icon on the left sidebar to see specific albums.
Apart from iTunes, you can consider using other apps to import photos from your iPhone. If you don’t like connecting your iPhone to the computer with a lightning cable, you can use online photo synchronization services instead. These services not just allow you to upload photos, but also let you download photos from the cloud directly to your computer. You will no longer need a copy of the photos stored online and that copy is also saved on the computer.
- To make it work, you need to enable iCloud Photo Library on your iOS device by navigating to Settings-> Photos and then turn on iCloud Photo Library option.
Once enabled, your iPhone will automatically upload your photos to Apple iCloud of account. After that, you can then install iCloud for Windows on your computer, log in with your Apple ID being used on your iPhone and then enable Photos in iCloud Control Panel. To control the folder stored on your computer as well as adjust other settings, simply click on Options button. Photos taken will then be automatically uploaded to your iCloud Photo Library and the iCloud software will download a copy of them to your computer.
You can also consider other apps to transfer or import photos from your iPhone to a computer such as Dropbox, Google Photos, OneDrive, etc. However, you should that note these tools will be syncing your folders. So, if you remove something from a synced folder on the computer, the file is also deleted from your phone.
If you are encountering trouble with importing or transferring photos from your iPhone, you can then check the connection and make sure your iPhone software is up to date. Ensure that the latest version of iTunes is installed and your computer is running on a new operating system.