You usually share your Internet connection from your iPhone to other devices using Personal Hotspot feature. All you need is to tap into a cellular network and then share the data connection with nearby devices wirelessly. Your iPhone will automatically create a wireless network, which is encrypted with a password, and it will become a portable hotspot device.
However, if you are encountering trouble with the Personal Hotspot on your iPhone XR, this post will highlight some helpful troubleshooting methods to help you know the underlying cause and then get solutions. Read on this post for more information.
Solutions to fix Personal Hotspot not working on iPhone XR
Solution 1: Disable Cellular Data & Personal Hotspot and turn it back on
To have Personal Hotspot work, the cellular data needs to be enabled on your phone first. So you should make sure that cellular data is already toggled on by heading over to Settings-> Cellular-> Cellular Data menu. If necessary, toggle the Cellular Data switch to on and off two times. You can also do the same with Personal Hotspot. Once it is already toggled on your phone settings but doesn’t work, you should deactivate Personal Hotspot and then set it up again by following these steps below:
- Open Settings from your Home screen.
- Scroll down and tap on Personal Hotspot.
- Toggle the Personal Hotspot switch to ON.
- If WLAN is turned off, you will be prompted to enable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. In case WLAN is activated, you are prompted to select Wi-Fi and USB Only.
- Select Wi-Fi Password and enter your preferred password.
- Finally, tap on Done to save the changes. Next, slide your finger upwards from the bottom to return to the Home screen.
Personal Hotspot is now turned on and you can then share the Internet connection. If you see Personal Hotspot that is missing, you should try this tweak instead:
- Launch Settings app on your iPhone.
- Scroll down and tap on Cellular.
- If the Cellular Data is disabled, toggle the switch ON and choose Cellular Data Network.
- Scroll to the Personal Hotspot section and enter APN on your Cellular Data APN
- Now, return to Settings-> Cellular Data
After that, reboot your iPhone after making these changes and check if Personal Hotspot is working as intended.
Solution 2: Restart your device.
Software errors might cause problems to cellular data services and prevent the Personal Hotspot from working properly. To solve it, you should perform a soft reset on your iPhone and then reboot other Wi-Fi enabled devices if possible.
To restart your iPhone XR, just follow these steps below:
- First, press firmly the Power button and either Volume buttons for a few seconds.
- When you see the Slide to Power Off command, release the buttons.
- Drag the slider to the right to trigger your phone to power off.
- After 30 seconds, press and hold the Power/Side button again until the Apple logo appears.
After restarting your iPhone, reboot other devices as well to clear memory cache and refresh the operating system.
Solution 3: Reset your iPhone network settings
A network settings reset is another recommended and effective solution to the network-related issues like wireless connection errors. The process will delete all your current network settings on the phone. Should the problem be related to a corrupted Wi-Fi network, then it’s a good way to solve it. Here’s how to get it done:
- Tap on Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap on General > Reset.
- Select Reset Network Settings
- Enter your device passcode, when you are prompted.
- Tap on the popup to confirm network settings reset.
Once the reset is completed, your iPhone will reboot automatically and load the default network settings. You then need to establish Wi-Fi, cellular data and Personal Hotspot again.
Solution 4: Update phone software to the latest iOS version
Updating your phone to the latest iOS version can be the key to fixing network-related issues like Personal Hotspot errors, which are caused by some bugs or data corruption. Software updates include patches to fix existing issues and offer system enhancements. Once your iPhone is connected to a Wi-Fi hotspot, then navigate to Settings and check for any available OTA updates. Here’s how:
- Open Settings from the Home screen.
- Tap on General > Software Update.
If there is an update available, you will see an update notification with the details and.
Checking and installing the latest carrier settings update is also a good solution for your iPhone XR. Similar to iOS updates, carrier settings updates include some patches to solve network problems as well as enhance carrier services on your iPhone.
- To check for carrier settings updates on your iPhone XR, simply navigate to Settings-> General-> About.
Wait for a few seconds and check if there is any carrier settings update on the screen. If it is available, follow the onscreen instructions to manually install the update your iPhone.
Solution 5: Reset all settings on your iPhone XR
If none of the above methods helped you, you should then perform system resets as the ultimate solution. However, before you consider erasing system data, you should reset your iPhone settings. Here’s how to get it done:
- Open Settings app from the Home screen.
- Tap on General > Reset.
- Choose the option to Reset all Settings.
- Enter your device passcode, when prompted.
- Tap on the popup to confirm settings reset.
All customized settings that you configured on your iPhone will then be erased and restore to the default options. However, all your personal information saved on your phone will not be affected, so you don’t need to create a backup. After the reset, your iPhone will reboot by itself. All you need is to wait until it boots up and you can then start setting up individual options and features such as cellular data, and Personal Hotspot on your iPhone XR.