When your iPhone appears no service, it means you will not be able to use your phone for the basic things, such as making a call or using mobile data. The only way if you want to access the Internet is to connect to a Wi-Fi network. You cannot use the cellular data until you get rid of the error. You usually see this error in the areas without network coverage, or in the areas with the poor network coverage when there is a message “searching for service”. Other reasons for “no service” error are related to the damaged SIM card, sometimes, the card is not properly placed in the tray, and software bug. The error may also occur after an iOS update.
Before you proceed with resolving the error on your iPhone XS by trying out solutions listed below, make sure you are in good network coverage. You should also contact your carrier to ensure your account is still active.
Solutions To Fix No Service On iPhone XS
Toggle Airplane mode
The simplest way to fix no service on your iPhone XS is toggling on/off the Airplane mode. Head over to Settings >> General >> Airplane Mode and toggle it on. Wait for a minute and disable it. Another way is accessing the control center.
- Swipe up the top right and you will see the Control Center.
- Tap on Airplane icon to turn it on.
- Wait for a minute, tap on it again to disable it
Check the Cellular Data
If toggling Airplane mode could not help you, try this method below. First, make sure to turn on your Cellular Data by heading to Settings >> Cellular >> Cellular Data
If you travel abroad, ensure that you have enabled Data Roaming by going to Settings >> Cellular >> Data Roaming.
Make sure Date & Time are set correctly
Another thing you should do is to make sure date and time on your iPhone XS is set in accordance with the current time zone. The best option is enabling “Set automatically” option. To do so
- Connect iPhone to Wi-Fi
- Go to Settings >> General > Date and Time
- Toggle on “Set Automatically”
Force Restart iPhone XS
Many common issues can be fixed by a force restart. To do so on your iPhone XS:
- Quickly press and release the Volume Up button
- Press and quickly release the Volume Down button
- Finally, press and hold the Power button until you see Apple logo on the screen.
Change “Voice & Data”
Changing Voice and Data is also a good solution to fix no service error on your iPhone XS. Many previous users successfully fixed the problem with this method. Here is what to do:
- Navigate to Settings >> Cellular >> Cellular Data Option and tap on Voice & Data.
- If you use 4G data, switch to 3G or vice versa.
- Now, return to your home screen and check if your cellular network already goes back.
Check iPhone Carrier settings update
Carrier settings update contains the updates from your current carrier related to its settings, including network, calling, cellular data, hotspot, and other settings. Follow these below steps to update your carrier settings:
- Connect your iPhone to a stable Internet connection.
- Tap on Settings > General > About.
- There will be a notification about the update if it’s available. Just update it and then check if “no service” error has already gone away.
Reinsert your SIM card again
If none of the above methods helped you, you should then try reinserting your SIM card.
- Open the tray on the right side of your iPhone with a SIM-eject tool or a paper clip
- Take out the SIM card and insert it back properly
- Close the tray and check if “no service” error has gone away.
Update your iPhone to the latest iOS version
The update usually includes bug fixes as well as improves the security and the overall performance of iOS devices. That is the reason why Apple always recommends users to update the software when there is one available. Here is how to do that:
- Make sure your phone is connected to a fast and stable Wi-Fi network.
- Head to Settings > General and tap on Software Update.
- Wait for your iPhone to check if there is an update available
- If yes, simply tap on Download and Install.
Reset All Settings
It’s a safe method since all the saved data on your iPhone XS will not be affected. Here is how to reset all settings on your iPhone to fix “no service” error
- Head to Settings > General
- Tap on Reset > Reset All Settings.
- Enter a passcode if you are prompted
- Confirm the action by tapping Reset All Settings popup
Restore your iPhone to factory settings with iTunes
No service on iPhone XS can also be resolved by performing a reset via iTunes. However, you should keep in mind that the process will erase everything on your device internal storage, so it’s recommended to back up your data first. Follow these below steps to your iPhone XS to factory settings:
- Make sure to connect your iPhone to a stable Internet connection and install the latest version of iTunes software on your computer
- Once done, plug your iPhone into your Mac/PC with a lightning cable.
- After it detects your device, click on your phone icon and then the Summary
- Before getting started, iTunes will first download the latest iOS 12.1.1 firmware.
- All you need is to wait until the restore process is completed.
- Once done, set up your iPhone as a new.
These are possible solutions to fix “No service” error on iPhone XS. If you feel this post useful, let’s know in the comment below.