Among the first requisites after grabbing a new phone is to know its basic system functions and features. Although smartphone manufacturers tried to design their products to be as user-friendly as possible, users are obliged to do their part, which is to know to operate their device.
This post might not be necessary to tenure iOS users, but those who have just moved from Android will likely need this helpful information. Keep reading our post and know how to perform the basic resets on your new Apple iPhone XR.
How to perform a Soft Reset on iPhone XR
A soft reset or restart is a simple solution, but great to resolve various software issues such as random app crashes and lag or something. It is similar to restarting a computer. A soft reset will clear temporary files and data stored as cache on your phone. A soft reset, of course, does not affect data on your phone. If you’re a new user to the iOS platform, and you have used an iPhone XR as your first iOS device, then a soft reset is among the basic system methods you need to know. Here is how to do so:
- First, press Power button of your iPhone for a few seconds.
- When you see Slide to Power Off command, release the button
- Drag the slider to the right to trigger your phone to power off.
- Wait for a minute, press the Power button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
Release the button when the logo appears and it finishes the boot-up sequence.
How to perform a Force Restart on iPhone XR
You should do a force restart if your iPhone gets frozen. It’s an effective solution whenever an app or your phone suddenly freezes or gets stuck. If your iPhone XR is stuck, the previous restart couldn’t help as the screen is not responding. This is when force restart is necessary. Similar to a soft reset, a force restart could effectively wipe out minor software errors without affecting your saved data and your system. You can perform a force restart on your iPhone XR by following these steps:
- Press and quickly release the Volume Up button.
- Do the same with the Volume Down button.
- Finally, press the Power button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
While you might see it a bit complicated at first, you get used to doing so, you could consider it among the simple smartphone routines.
How to Reset network settings on iPhone XR
You need to perform this reset when you are dealing with network-related issues on your iPhone. It can fix pertinent issues such as Wi-Fi problems, signal issues and Bluetooth connectivity issues. Here’s how to do so:
- Launch Settings app on your phone
- Next, tap on General > Reset
- Choose Reset Network Settings option.
- When you are prompted, enter your passcode.
- Tap on the popup to confirm network settings reset.
How to perform a Factory Reset on iPhone XR
You need to perform a factory reset when you are encountering major software problems on an iPhone. This method will wipe out everything on your iPhone, including saved apps, customized settings and other data stored in the memory. In short, your iPhone XR will be restored to the default values or factory settings. However, before resetting your iPhone XR to the factory defaults, you should create a backup of all important data on your phone memory. Once the backup is done, you’re set to perform a full system reset. There are two ways to perform a factory reset that are directly on your phone or through iTunes on your computer.
Do a factory reset on your iPhone XR
This method is only applicable in case your iPhone is still responding properly to touches. Here is how to do so:
- Open the Settings app on your phone
- Tap on General > Reset.
- Select the Erase all content and settings option. It will reset your iPhone XR.
- When you are prompted, enter your passcode to continue the process.
- Tap on the popup to confirm factory resetting.
Wait for your iPhone to finish resetting and then it will then restart automatically when the process is done. After that, you can set up your iPhone as new or restore from a backup.
Perform a factory reset through iTunes
It’s an alternative way to factory reset your iPhone XR in case your device gets frozen, stuck or is not responding. To get the process done, you need a computer. A Windows/Mac computer will do that as long as you install the latest version of iTunes software on your computer. Here’s how it works.
- Open iTunes software on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone XR to your computer with the Lightning cable.
- If it’s the first time, you will be prompted to Trust this Computer on your phone, just tap on Trust and then follow the onscreen instructions.
- In iTunes, click on your iPhone XR when it shows up.
- Next, move to the Summary section on the left side of the screen.
- Click on the Restore [your iPhone name] button to start resetting your phone.
- When you are prompted, click on the Restore button again to confirm your selection. This will then notice iTunes clean your device and then reinstall the latest iOS version available.
Wait until the factory settings reset process completes. Once done, your iPhone will automatically restart. After that, you can proceed with the initial setup process and set up your iPhone as new. You can also restore your iPhone from a backup available just by using iTunes.
That’s the guide to performing resets on your new iPhone XR. For more step-by-step walkthroughs, keep visiting our websites to get more.