As you know, ZTE has rolled out the Android 7.1.1 version for Axon 7 devices. But after the update may Axon 7 users said that there were various issues relating to the Android 7.1.1 OS which is causing certain malfunctions on their device. Until now, the OEM does not still release any new OTA update for fixing the existing and reported bugs. If you update your Axon 7 to Android 7.1.1, the best solution is temporarily downgrading your smartphone to a more stable Android platform. So in this post, we’ll instruct you how to downgrade your ZTE Axon 7 to the Android 7.0 Nougat or 6.0 Marshmallow.
However, before proceeding, you need to meet some pre-requirements. First, you should create a full backup for your ZTE Axon 7 as your data might get lost during the update. You also need to enable the USB Debugging option on your Android device to easily connect with the computer. Among other important needs, keep at least 70% power left to avoid unexpected shutdown during flashing the Stock ROM. Now let’s take a look on the update process.
Steps to Downgrade ZTE Axon 7 to Android 7.0 Nougat or 6.0 Marshmallow
Downgrade to Android 7.0 via stock recovery
- Download the Android 7.0 Nougat package from thispage and place it on your computer.
- Rename the firmware file into zip.
- Turn on your Axon 7 and then connect your phone with the computer using the USB cable.
- Transfer the Rom.zip file on the SD card and then unplug the cable.
- Now, switch off your smartphone and wait your device to power off completely.
- Reboot into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up and Power buttons for a few seconds to enter the stock recovery mode.
- From recovery, select “Apply update via SD-card”.
- Load the zip file and start the flashing process.
- Once done, from main menu of recovery, select “reboot system now”.
Downgrade to Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS via TWRP recovery
If you have your device rooted and installed the TWRP custom recovery, you can easily downgrade to Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow. You just follow these steps:
- Download the Marshmallow firmware package for your ZTE Axon 7 from here.
- Save this file on your PC, and rename it into ‘Rom.zip’.
- Transfer the Rom.zip file into your smartphone and enter the custom recovery mode on your device.
- Then from recovery, tap on Mount and select Mount System as Read-Only”
- Make a wipe the system from recovery.
- Tap on Install and select the zip firmware package.
- Swipe to begin the installation process.
- Once done, go back to main menu of recovery and select “reboot system now”.
That’s all you need to do. Great! Now you have successfully downgraded your ZTE Axon 7 to Android 7.0 Nougat or 6.0 Marshmallow. In case of any issues, inform us in the comment section. We shall find out some solution for you.