When we think of the MacOS, the speedy performance is the first thing that comes to our mind, while there are consequences that can make your Mac running slow also. There are various concepts in context that can help you optimize your system, of which few are summarized below.
1. Clear Desktop: When the system starts up, the first interface screen it has to offer to the user is the desktop. So, if the desktop is cluttered with a load of items and icons, remove all the unwanted items to speed the startup process.
2. Startup Items: Another factor hindering the faster startup of the OS is the number of items loading at the start. Move in System preferences, then System, then Users & Groups and then to Login Items and uncheck all the items you don’t require at startup
3. Hard Drive Cleaning: Mac OS utilizes the free Hard Disk space as the Virtual Memory for a smooth and faster performance. So, removing all the unnecessary items from the hard drive gives a smooth and a faster performance and also the system looks tidy. This will clean up your mac and speed up your mac.
4. Monitoring Activity: There are some applications that eat up a lot of memory when being used. From the Apple’s Activity Monitor, you can check various items and their usage stats. This can help you decide which applications to use for a smoother performance.
5. Utility Tools: In your MacOS there are a list of utility tools available to work entirely on themselves to clear up cached, temporary and history storing files to clear up some memory and speed up your system. Some tools are MacKeeper, Onyx and CleanMyMac.
6. Disk Permissions Repair: Since OS like Mac, Unix/Linux based operating systems have a certain kind of complex and secured permissions. The system may sometimes get confused in these permissions and can slow down. So, you can repair the permissions in Mac from Utility folder to launch disk utility and click on repair button.
7. Frequent Shutdowns: There are many background scripts running in Mac that are there to smooth down the performance of your system. While some work during shut down process. So, shut down your system more often and start again rather than a single restart to speed up the system.
8. Clean Environment: If there is some dust on your system or in the processor cabinet, do clean it with a fiber cloth to speed up the performance. Also, make space for hot air to move out, avoiding the placement of the system in a tight environment.
9. Update Software: From time to time, various updates are rolled out for various softwares and also for Operating Systems, that ensure fixing flaws for a better operating speed. So, to enhance the performance of your Mac, update the software at regular intervals.
10. Hardware Upgrade: In case all the above tasks fail to meet the speed to your expected levels, then you have to spend some money on it. You are left with the only choice of upgrading your hardware. You can go for RAM upgrades, provided you don’t have the maximum value supported yet or you can have a hard drive or processor upgrades.
I hope these tips help speed up your slow mac.